Preparing for an Outage
We all appreciate the reliability and convenience of electricity in our daily lives. However, winter storms and other occurrences can cause power interruptions. Here are some tips on preparing for a power outage.
- Keep a flashlight, lantern and safety lightsticks in a handy location.
- Have a battery-operated radio and spare batteries ready as many radio stations operate using emergency power. NB Power works with the radio stations during Power Restoration work to keep you informed.
- Ensure that any back-up heating unit is properly vented and in good working order.
- While your power is out, turn down your electric heat, unplug portable heaters and turn off major appliances such as stoves, washers and dryers.
- For long-term power outages, prepare for an alternate location where you and your family can stay.
Report an Outage via the web, mobile device or call 1 800 663-6272.