Working safely is a top priority at NB Power and it is important to us that Contractors are safe on the job.
We provide the following services:
- Locating and marking underground wiring
- De-energizing and insulating overhead lines
- Raising overhead lines
- Providing warning signs for hazard zones
For your convenience, we offer a way to access these services:
Contractor Service Line
Contact NB Power by dialing toll-free 1 800 663-6272. To speak with one of our customer service agents directly, simply make your language choice then press the number 4.
Minimum safe distances:
- Up to 750 volts - 0.9 metres (3 feet)
- 751 to 100,000 volts - 3.6 metres (12 feet)
- 100,001 to 250,000 volts - 5.2 metres (17 feet)
- 250,001 to 345,000 volts - 6.1 metres (20 feet)
Worksite safety tips
- Use caution when moving equipment or tools around overhead lines. This includes cranes, backhoes, scaffolding, or long lengths of pipe. Never get closer than the minimum safe distance.
- Use a designated signaler who knows the minimum safe distances to help equipment operators steer clear of overhead lines.
- Remember - minimum safe distances apply to anything that can possibly reach, slip or fall from the work area. Increase your working distance whenever you're using equipment that can fall or collapse, such as booms, cranes, ladders and scaffolds.
- Keep hazards and the minimum safe distances well marked with signs provided by NB Power.
- If the minimum safe distances can't be maintained when moving equipment around lines, take another route or call NB Power.
- If you must work within close proximity to power lines, call NB Power to deactivate/de-energize the lines or insulate the power lines prior to commencing the work.
- Workers should keep clear of all big equipment/machines working around power lines.
- Locator flags can tell you where the underground power lines are located but not how deeply they are buried.