NB Power ready for freezing rain and snow mix before holiday weekend
Fredericton, N.B. : NB Power is prepared for the coming wintry weather mix predicted to bring freezing rain and snow in different parts of the province on Friday and Saturday.
Customers are reminded to also prepare themselves and their families for severe weather and the potential for weather related power outages, keeping in mind that many stores are closed during tomorrow’s holiday.
About 20 mm of freezing rain is expected through the central part of the province. NB Power has put required staff on standby, ready to respond to weather-related outages if they occur. The utility has secured 60 contractor crews and will locate them in key areas including Woodstock, Fredericton, Sussex and Miramichi tomorrow morning before the freezing rain starts.
When the storm has passed and it is safe to do so, crews will be dispatched to assess damage. Meanwhile, crews will address high priority outages according to NB Power’s response protocol.
If your power goes out during a storm, you can search for, and report your outage on NB Power's mobile site by entering your phone number or account number or by calling 1 800 663 6272.
In advance of the storm remember to:
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged and your phone number is up-to-date on your account beforehand by calling 1 800 663 6272 today. This will help you search & report outages in your area.
- Keep a flashlight and safety light sticks handy to use in place of candles to avoid fire hazard.
- Have a full tank of gas for snow blowers and generators.
- Have a battery-operated radio and spare batteries ready as many radio stations operate using emergency power. NB Power works with the radio stations during power restoration work to keep you informed.
- Have an emergency kit on standby with supplies including a first aid kit, prescriptions, water and non-perishable food.
- To monitor storm restoration work, check the outage map for the most up-to-date information.
- Check out this video to find out more on our process for restoring power.
- Check out this list of frequently asked questions about outages from our website
- More storm preparedness tips are available on NB Power's website.
MEDIA CONTACT: Deborah Nobes, Communications (506) 458-4838 or firstname.lastname@example.org