Appliances and Lighting
The more devices we add into our lives, the more our energy costs will likely increase. Here you can find some Smart Habits to help you enjoy all your devices while cutting down on your annual bill.
Appliance and lighting tips
- If it is not in use, then shut it off!
- Shut off your lights when you leave the room.
- Unplug empty refrigerators and freezers.
- Keep refrigerator doors closed as much as possible.
- Check refrigerator door seals for tightness. Signs of mold on door seals indicate they need cleaning and possible replacing.
- Use small cooking appliances when you can, especially in the summer months.
- Hand dry dishes instead of using the dry cycle on the dishwasher.
- Make sure roofing cables are turned off when they aren't needed.
- Use a clothesline to dry clothes whenever possible.
- Don't let ice build up in refrigerators and freezers - defrost at least annually.
Easy, Low Cost
- Choose lighting products to match the amount of light needed.
- Use LED nightlights to light unoccupied areas.
- Choose LED festive lighting when shopping for new.
- Reduce with LED bulbs, they use 75% less energy and last 25X longer than regular incandescent bulbs.
- Look for appliances displaying ENERGY STAR® symbol.
- Use timers, motion sensors and photocells to help limit the operating time of your devices.
- Use power bars on home entertainment and computer systems and switch the power bar off when not in use.
- Use a timer on your car block heater to keep operating time to an hour or two.
What is phantom load?