Building and Renovations
Building or renovating? Here's what you need to know
Follow these easy steps to get started:
1. CONTACT NB POWER
Get us involved early in your building or renovating project. Simply give us a call at 1 800 663-6272.
Prefer a self serve option?
- For a new construction, start with our online moving wizard
Please ensure you have the following:
- Contact information including email address
- Two pieces of identification (date of birth, driver’s license, social insurance number)
- Exact location of your property (civic number, lot number or 911 address)
- You will be advised of any fees associated with the work you are requesting.
As well, we will provide you with a NB Power work order number as a reference. For the building of a new home, please provide this number to your electrician.
2. WIRING PERMIT APPLICATION
Your electrical contractor will require a "Wiring Permit Application” through the New Brunswick Department of Public Safety.
Provide your electrician with the NB Power work order number so this can be referenced on the wiring permit application.
3. SITE CONSULTATION
A representative from NB Power will perform a site visit to discuss with you and review the work that needs to be performed.
If the work that needs to be done requires you to pay a customer contribution, you will be notified at this time.
You may also be provided with a to do list of actions that you need to carry out.
4. YOUR TO DO LIST
Here are some examples of what your to do list might look like:
- If required, pay NB Power customer contribution.
- Tree trimming for line extensions.
5. OUR TO DO LIST
- If requested by the contractor or customer, we will perform an underground locate for gas, sewer etc…
- NB Power will perform tree trimming if needed near primary lines. All other tree trimming are to be performed by the customer.
- Continue to work with you to ensure your actions are completed.
6. REQUIRED INSPECTIONS
Your electrician will be responsible to contact the Technical Inspections Group with the New Brunswick Department of Public Safety to coordinate a final inspection for all new home constructions.
For renovations, your electrical contractor will contact NB Power to schedule an appointment with us.
7. CONNECTING YOUR POWER
After the work has been inspected and all of the to-do’s have been completed, your electrical contractor will provide NB Power with a signed wiring permit. Once the signed wiring permit is received, we will schedule a crew to perform the work.