Building and Renovations
Follow these easy steps to get started:
1. CONTACT NB POWER
Get us involved early in your building or renovating project. Simply give us a call at 1 800 663-6272.
Prefer a self serve option?
- For a new construction, start with our online moving wizard
Please ensure you have the following:
- Contact information including email address
- Two pieces of identification (date of birth, driver’s license, social insurance number)
- Exact location of your property (civic number, lot number or 911 address)
- You will be advised of any fees associated with the work you are requesting.
As well, we will provide you with a NB Power work order number as a reference. For the building of a new home, please provide this number to your electrician.
2. WIRING PERMIT APPLICATION
Your electrical contractor will require a "Wiring Permit Application” (additional non-NB Power fees will apply).
Provide your electrician with the NB Power work order number so this can be referenced on the wiring permit application.
3. SITE CONSULTATION
Within 5 business days, a representative from NB Power will perform a site visit to discuss with you and review the work that needs to be performed.
If the work that needs to be done requires you to pay a customer contribution, you will be notified at this time.
You may also be provided with a to do list of actions that you need to carry out.
4. YOUR TO DO LIST
Here are some examples of what your to do list might look like:
- Apply for a building permit
- Hire a certified electrician
- If required, pay NB Power customer contribution.
- Tree trimming
5. OUR TO DO LIST
- If requested by the contractor or customer, we will perform an underground locate for electrical wires.
- NB Power will perform tree trimming if needed near primary lines. All other tree trimming are to be performed by the customer.
- Continue to work with you to ensure your actions are completed.
6. REQUIRED INSPECTIONS
Your electrician will be responsible to contact the Technical Inspections Group with the New Brunswick Department of Public Safety to coordinate a final inspection for all new home constructions.
For renovations, your electrical contractor will contact NB Power to schedule an appointment with us.
7. CONNECTING YOUR POWER
Once all other requirements have been met, we can proceed to complete the work required and connect your power. Please note: We will only be able to provide you with the date to complete your service request once all requirements are met. You will need to contact us for this particular date.
8. What charges can I expect from a licensed electrical contractor?
Your contractor must obtain a wiring permit from the Department of Technical Inspection Services. You will be responsible for covering these charges through your contractor. They will outline the permit costs for your specific project which are outlined here.