Skip to main content
Search Menu

Generator Safety


Do you own a generator? Making sure it’s properly installed will help keep you and your family safe during power outages.

NB Power offers a service that safely links your portable generator directly to your power meter, keeping you connected if the power goes out. Visit the SureConnect Service webpage to learn more.

Installation Tips

  • Generator Safety

    Hire a qualified electrical contractor to install the unit.

  • Check that you have the following components in addition to the generator itself: a transfer device or panel, and proper connection cords and receptacles.
  • Ensure all components of the generator carry safety approved labels.
  • Ensure the unit is properly grounded before use in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and all electrical codes.

Operating Tips

  • Disconnect from utility service before starting.
  • Generator Safety

    Do not use a portable generator in a flooded basement. Water and electricity are a dangerous combination.

  • Be sure your hands are dry and you are standing in a dry place when operating a generator.
  • Never remove or tamper with safety devices.
  • Generator Safety

    Remember the generator is a fuel driven device that requires proper ventilation to guard against carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Never operate a generator in your house, garage, or other enclosed building. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and deadly gas.
  • Generator Safety

    Keep children away from generators. Many engine parts become extremely hot during operation.

  • Stored fuel creates a fire/explosion hazard. Under the National Fire Code, only five litres of fuel may be stored in a residential dwelling, or 30 litres in a garage/shed.
  • Generator Safety

    Never re-fuel a generator when it is hot, or while the engine is running.

  • Good ventilation for your generator is critical, since overheating will damage the generator and render the warranty invalid.

Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odourless gas in the engine exhaust. You may not smell the exhaust but could still be exposed to CO.

Never use generators indoors, including inside a garage or other enclosed or partially enclosed area. Only operate generators outdoors and at a location where the exhaust cannot enter into your home or other buildings through doors or windows.

Use a battery-operated CO detector at home.

This is also advisable for homes that have a natural gas fired forced air heating system.