While we focus on maintaining essential services for our customers, we are suspending all existing and new requests for Net Metering.
As New Brunswickers, we know the power of nature. We also know that, for you, saving money and being environmentally responsible is important. That's why we created the Net Metering program.
The NB Power Net Metering program provides customers with the option to connect their own environmentally sustainable generation unit to NB Power's distribution system. The program allows customers to generate their own electricity to offset their consumption, while remaining connected to NB Power's distribution system – so they can meet their electricity demands when their generation unit cannot.
In order to qualify for the program, the generation units must:
- Not exceed 100 kW in Nameplate Capacity
- Come from renewable energy sources as prescribed in the provincial government`s Electricity from Renewable Resources Regulation 2015-60. Sources like solar, wind and hydro are acceptable.
If you have another source, please read through the regulation at: http://laws.gnb.ca/en/ShowTdm/cr/2015-60//
- Use equipment certified for use in the Province of New Brunswick. Please refer to the Interconnection Specifications in the Net Metering Application package (page 5) under Enroll.
- Have an Electrical Wiring Permit from a licensed electrical contractor, and be inspected and approved by the New Brunswick Department of Public Safety, Technical Inspection Services. The applicant’s electrical contractor should inquire as to what is needed before starting the project.
- A special type of meter will be installed replacing your existing meter. This new meter provides readings
for the electricity you use from NB Power, and the excess electricity backfed to NB Power’s distribution
system. The generator cannot be turned on before metering is in place, and written approval from NB
power is provided.
- It is also mandated by regulation that the owner of the home or place of business meets the ownership
requirements as per the Electricity from Renewable Resources Regulation 2015-60.