After an Outage
If your smoke detectors are electrically operated, consider buying some units with batteries as a backup.
- Stay well away from downed power lines and keep pets and children clear too. Report downed lines immediately to 1 800 663-6272.
- Assume all cables and wires are energized and stay well away from them.
- Do not go near electrical equipment around areas of standing water, like a flooded basement.
- Once your refrigerator and freezer are operating, carefully check food for spoilage. Generally, food will keep for 24 to 48 hours, as long you keep the door closed.
- If the outage lasted less than four hours, allow your electrical system a chance to stabilize. Turn on the most essential appliances one by one and wait 30 minutes before reconnecting others.
- Reset electric clocks, automatic timers and alarms.